Why I Use a Vitamin C Serum in my Skincare Routine
If I’ve learned anything from years of dabbling in skincare and getting facials here and there, it’s that a Vitamin C serum is important. A Vitamin C in a serum form seems to be the most effective way for me to use it (rather than just putting an orange on your face, I suppose) And almost every facialist I’ve ever seen has said to me, “you use Vitamin C, don’t you?” because they can TELL and the results are reflected in your skin health! It prevents and fades dark spots, brightens, and repairs damage–it’s a wonder product!
What IS a Vitamin C anyway?
It’s a potent antioxidant that helps generate new cells and repair damaged ones–basically it protects and repairs your skin. Oftentimes it’s combined with other antioxidants (Vitamin E, Ferulic acid, etc) for an extremely effective product.
Vitamin C Benefits:
- Heals surface damage
- Prevents onset of wrinkles
- Fades dark spots
- Boosts collagen production
How do I use it?
After cleansing and toning in the morning. I use about four drops of a Vitamin C serum and follow it with a moisturizer (lately I’ve been loving the Skinceuticals C E Ferulic Serum followed by the Hyaluronic Acid Intensifier) and sunscreen (super important).
What to look for in a Vitamin C Serum?
- L-absorbic acid – it’s most stable and effective form of vitamin C
- Vitamin C + E = increases effectiveness against free radical damage
- A dark bottle–it keeps light and helps maintain efficacy.
Where to start?
- If you have sensitive skin, start with a a lower concentration and use a couple drops to start (it’s potent).
- If you want clean, try Marie Veronique C E Ferulic Acid serum ($90) or BeautyCounter All Bright C Serum ($79)
- If you have super oily skin, try Skinceuticals Phloretin CF ($166)
- If you’re new to Vitamin C, try the travel size of Olehenriksen Truth Serum ($24)
- Vitamin C serums that are highly rated but I haven’t tried yet: TruSkin Vit C Serum ($20), Obagi Vitamin C , Skinceuticals Phloretin Gel (good for sensitive skin), and Skinceuticals Serum 20 (maximum concentration of pure Vitamin C)
Any questions I didn’t answer? Let me know in the comments below!